Saturday, July 26, 2014

Illustration~Mini Mushroom Village

I'm so excited to share this illustration today! This creative piece just makes me happy! It just puts a smile on my face!  I really enjoyed the process of creating it, and now it holds a special place in my heart.



This digital watercolour was inspired by Danielle Donaldson's workshop CREATIVE GIRL: LAND OF LIGHT AND SHADOWS .  Danielle works with traditional media, and creates her beautiful art in pencil, watercolour, acrylics and papers.

I have been practising my digital painting techniques and was really excited about creating a 'mixed media' piece in a completely digital format.  
I approach a digital piece much the same as I do a traditional piece.  I start with a white canvas and build my paint up in layers.

Here are a few photos of my process...

I painted in watercolours for the background with different brush work, and then sketched in my mushroom houses in pencil.


 I painted with more watercolours and white acrylic on the next two layers...


...finishing my illustration with pen and white liquid ink. (All Digital)


This is a change of pace for me as my style is usually more classic and tight in my drawing and painting. This is light, loose, and whimsical! Yay for me! I love to stretch myself creatively and challenge myself to try things outside of my comfort zone.  The result....well you may be seeing a lot more of this 'light' side of me in the future!  I would love to hear what you think...


Illustration Friday's challenge keyword is GOLDEN this week so I've shared there as I've used what I feel is a golden palette. It is vibrant and fun with the use of golden yellows to highlight my little mushroom houses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment